Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mostly Media

Good morning.

It's Tuesday but I guess because of Columbus Day, it's kinda like Monday.

So the weekend was basically really eventful and I'm glad it happened. I look forward to visiting up there again in the future, especially if Doe were to come up. I felt bad that she couldn't and it might be hard getting her up there since she works on Saturdays. But that will work itself out.

So yesterday I went to Burlington with Ryan and Doe to a bookstore but it happens they are closed every Monday. I decided since we were in Burlington we'd check out the Spirit store across the mall. I didn't exactly know where it was but I remember someone said it was across the mall. Ryan helped out by saying maybe it's in the Tower Record building and that made sense to me. So we went there and it turns out the Tower Record building is some sort of make-up store. I drove out of the parking lot and proceeded to drive around the mall until I found out where the store was. But when we passed the Newbury Comics/Tower Record lot again we found the Spirit store was where this old sports store was a while back. I had to drive around in circles to get back to it.

After getting into the store I found everything was as over-priced and sort of lame as I remembered. Masks, costumes, wigs and whatever little gadgets you could find littered the ground like I remembered from working at Spencer's. I started to wonder if the people who worked here had to recover the store at the end of the night, but I feel like they didn't just because it didn't look like it. I wouldn't want to recover if it was just going to get destroyed again and it seemed like people managed just fine by digging through a pile of masks on the ground. I just walked around, sometimes with Doe, sometimes with Ryan and sometimes with both. I was looking for ideas for what I'd like to be for Halloween because I felt like doing something this year. I still don't think I will because I couldn't find anything worth the money and I didn't think of anything interesting. Ryan did find a hat that is typically worn by Asians. Rice hat? Asian Hat? Bamboo hat? It had no price on it, but I actually liked it a lot and decided to buy it. I wouldn't have bought it though if Doe didn't also want to pick up some eye lashes.

When I got up to the register I saw Melinda. A little Asian girl who I met one day when I was hanging out with my other two friends Steph and Lina. I met Melinda quite recently so I remembered her instantly. I probably would have remembered her anyways since she was pretty outrageous when we hung out. Running around, telling stories to Lina and Steph that I found pretty funny in both subject and her way of telling them. She was just pretty outgoing and I thought it was cool. She seemed a bit more reserved yesterday and I assume it was from being at work.

So when I went to pay for the hat, I said hi to her and joked to her and the two guys she worked with about the hat. There was no price tag so they had to search for the price. They had a price book and they had to find out what the hat was called. They asked Melinda and she said "Asian Hat?" they looked around and found it wasn't called that. I think it ended up being called a Chinese bamboo hat? Either way it was good encounter/laugh at the Spirit store.

Later Doe and I watched two movies.
We finished the Forbidden Kingdom because we fell asleep the night before and then we watched Penelope.


Spoilers/Review
The Forbidden Kingdom follows some noob from South Boston who gets thrown back into History/Mythology after getting his hands onto the Monkey Kings Staff. I don't know how accurate the Mythology in the movie is, but I'm going to research it because I really like what the supposed lore was about. The Monkey King and the 8 Immortals. It sounds cool to me, but I'll find out what it's really about later.

Anyways, so this Kid Jason needs to get the Monkey King's staff back to the Monkey King to free him and then The Monkey King and defeat some evil Jade Warlord who took over after the Jade Emperor left to meditate for like 500 years.

I guess I won't spoil anything, but I guess I still might in telling you what I thought about it. But it wasn't a great movie so if I spoil it for you, you wouldn't be missing much.

Anyways, there was a plenty of wire-fu in this movie, which is sort of bad considering I used to like how Jackie Chan used to do all his own real stunts. But he is really old now, so I shouldn't be expecting him to be doing such things. The gimmick of the movie was the union of Jackie Chan and Jet Li, two huge kung-fu movie icons. They only fought once but I'll say their kung-fu is strong. In their fight there wasn't TOO much wire-fu, but maybe just the right amount. The kung-fu was cool in the movie, as cool as kung-fu is. But as always the story kind of sucked. But thinking back all kung-fu movies never really had great stories and you'd always watch them for the fights.

There were a lot of things bad with this movie. The main character was a white kid with no kung-fu but he learned some from Chan and Li throughout the movie with funny montages. I'm glad they didn't give this kid a terrible typical Boston accident because they probably would have made this movie unwatchable. Anyways, when the kid got to old china he obviously spoke English. At first, all the Chinese only spoke Chinese. But when Jackie Chan came along he spoke English along with every other Asian that the white kid came in contact with. At first I thought it was some magic power the kid got where he could understand Chinese, but it was in fact just them speaking in English. I thought it was stupid.

Penelope was a dramedy, more of a comedy but there was still the drama. It's about a girl who is cursed with a pig nose and pig ears (but the ears don't really come into play) and to be honest, Christina Richi didn't look half bad with a pig nose. It's a happy ending.

Music
I've recently started listening to MGMT and Vampire Weekend. I'm sure it's a phase but it's a happy, nice feeling phase.

I'll be back again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment