Wednesday, September 3, 2008

It just so happens...

Random thoughts that come to me as I sit here waiting for work-related files to upload.

1. I Hate The Use of the Ellipsis.
Now it's not the general use of the ellipsis that hate, like "I'm a bit ... sick" but I hate when people use it as it is "...". Mainly I feel it's people who are trying to say "You're stupid" as vague and condescending as they possibly can. Furthermore, I hate when people use it and don't even know that's what it's called. So they look at me like I'm insane when I tell them their use of an ellipsis is inappropriate and they just stare and ask "A what?". The same goes for stand alone question marks (?) which bothers me so much I'm going to start a new paragraph.

In times of great frustration I sometimes simply type shift+/ > enter producing another online type pet peeve, the lone question mark. Now what really bothers me about this when someone sends it to me is: What are you questioning? What are you asking? An example would be, lets say I suggest "we meet up at the local diner at around 7:30pm" and in response all I get is a "?". What am I suppose to take from that? I again feel it's another way of trying to tell someone, "you're stupid" as vaguely as humanly possible. I think this because usually the question mark is followed by some sort of explanation revealing why my suggestion was a bad idea. It is at this point in the conversation that I'm annoyed and I wonder why was the "?" necessary and why couldn't they just ask question that the question mark is supposed to represent?

2. Education
My boss, John Foley, the CEO of my company was talking to Jaclyn today about her going back to school and her classes and that sort of thing and he turned to me and asked what I was going to do? I appreciate that he's trying to make me pursue some sort of college education, even though I hate when my relatives tell me I should. He suggested Middlesex community college where I know Ryan is starting at sometimes this week, maybe he started yesterday? Either way, John suggested I look at night classes. So I started thinking maybe I will. A couple nights a week to maybe a history class or even a science class. Basically, I want it to be as general as it can be. I have no idea what I want to do for the rest of my life and I can't see myself committing to any specific subject like Graphic Design or whatever. Although, the graphic design program would probably be terribly easy and they do have some drawing classes that I think I might enjoy.

3. Doe Getting Work
Doe has started looking around for a job. She's going to go through state boards (for her cosmetologist license essentially) this Saturday, good luck Doe! And then she'll be getting a job somewhere. She'll most likely be going to a salon somewhere near by but I guess I'd rather her get a job that she'll have fun with. Sure she'd do great in a salon washing, cutting and dying women's hair, but I know she'd rather be doing more 'glamorous' work as a make up artist in movies, models, etc. But realistically she probably does need to get a job right now. We have bills to pay and I feel like I never have more then $100 dollars even though I believe I make around $1200 a month (after taxes). Which isn't a lot to begin with, but I feel like I should have more then $100 dollars at a time! So as much as I want Doe to be happy with her work and not be like everyone else who dreads waking up in the morning to go back to their soul crushing office job or whatever other kinds of jobs that crushes souls, she just needs to start making money so we can be okay financially.

4. Commas and Parenthesis
I'm pretty sure I use these two symbols too much and inappropriately. I find sometimes I toss commas into my sentences left and right just wherever I feel. Would it have been inappropriate to toss a comma in there? There = "...I toss commas into my sentences left and right , just where I feel." I think it would have been after retyping it with a comma. I'm going to wiki the definition and usage of commas later.
Parenthesis. I use these when I could easily just use commas. It's as simple as that (I think, lol).

5. Mundane Thoughts
It's mundane thoughts like number 4. that make me think why my blogs could be a lot less interesting then say, Dan Halls, Doe's or Jimca's blogs. They talk about things usually near and dear to their hearts and I like to basically make this a long stream of consciousness. I have/had another blog where it's a 'bitchfest' as Jimmy put it (he didn't call mine a bitchfest, he just used that word). And maybe I'm just trying to keep those thoughts separated from this area.

Well the files have finished their lengthy uploads and I think it's time I concluded this for now.

(I've signed up for mobile uploading on my youtube account, so get ready for some shitty/short cell phone youtube videos being uploaded)

No comments:

Post a Comment